Translate

Monday, July 11, 2011

SLU Vice President moves to Kilinochchi...

...to serve the resettlement communities more effectively. The following is the SLU VP's account of his experiences so far since his move to Kilinochchi.

"In the resettlement context, even in the Kilinochchi town areas, facilities are low. Roads are dust; all the internal roads are gravel roads. People are trying to build their lives. Many shops are opened. Near the main road electricity supply is given. In my resident room, it is very hot with no fan, many mosquitoes, and no showers. It is a different experience than in the other parts of the country I have lived.


Last month, I stayed at one of my uncle’s house for two days; they are also living in temporary shelter provided by IOM.  Many of the children play in the dust without proper clothing and go to school without shoes. One mother said that her son only has one uniform which was unwashed and thus cannot go to school.
This week, one disable person came to my office with a letter requesting a latrine at his place. He said that no agencies assist their village. There is no housing, no latrines, nor livelihood assistance. They still live in tents without any assistance.

 I met two orphan children aged 13 and 17; their parents died during the war. They live in temporary house with no one to take care of them. There are many women who lost their husbands during the war. Some of the widows have children and are suffering with sickness, unable to feed their children. They are lonely.
It is in this area, this situation, that I am best committed to a service of working and volunteering.

I encourage my staff and friends to look in a common view of working with unity to help these people by getting projects that can provide different and more effective assistance.

Personally in the evenings, I have started English classes for school-aged children in the rural areas. I don’t have money to give them, but what I can give them is education. I am hoping to develop their education. I am also hoping to observe children while they are in school in order to observe those who have mental depression and need more tools and education. I want to get involved and help these children.

I lost my childhood at IDP camps and refugee camps. I don’t want the same thing to happen to the children in Vanni. Some good people helped me continue my studies when my studies were disturbed. I want to also help children study well and do good work in their society. They should be able to be happy and enjoy the facilities of daily life and education.

This is my commitment. Whatever the challenges I face and whatever I lose, I will go forward with the vision of serving the poor and needy people. Whatever I received in my life, all that I will give to the people. Nothing I bring into this world. Nothing I bring back. I will do my best everyday of my life."

by Kirubakaran Christin Rajah, "Christy"

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE
29 days until FLC season 3!


No comments:

Post a Comment